The Cancer Alliance is a collective group of cancer control non-profit organisations and cancer advocates brought together under a common mandate, to provide a platform of collaboration for cancer civil society to speak with one voice and be a powerful tool to effect change for all South African adults and children affected by cancer.
The objectives of the Cancer Alliance are expressed in our Strategic Plan for 2018 as:
- Ensure that cancer becomes a national priority
- Promote surveillance and research
- Improve services for cancer prevention and control
- Strengthen human resources for cancer interventions throughout the healthcare system
- Strengthen technology, equipment, vaccines, medicine and infrastructure for cancer
- Reduce stigma and discrimination for cancer patients and survivors
- Increase engagement within the cancer community
The Cancer Alliance is managed by the Executive Committee (EXCO), which is elected by and drawn from our member organizations. All EXCO members contribute their time and effort on a voluntary basis, and are supported by their own organizations where necessary.
Cancer Alliance Members pay an annual membership fee which is used for minimal day to day expenses.
The Cancer Alliance does not compete with its own members in fund raising. Our projects are funded by grants and donations made by organizations, usually to support a specific objective of the Cancer Alliance.
Recent funding has been received from the following organizations for our advocacy objectives:
- Lace Up for Cancer – An annual fundraising and awareness initiative for World Cancer Day, conducted by the Hospice Palliative Care Association of South Africa in Cape Town.
- One Step at a Time – An annual fundraising and awareness initiative for World Cancer Day conducted by the Breast Health Foundation in Johannesburg.
- Open Society Foundations (OSF) (US) – A two year grant (Feb 2018 -Feb 2020) for our Access to Medicine (A2M) campaign. Our major report Exploring Patent Barriers to Cancer Treatment Access in SA: 24 Medicine Case Studies was also funded by a previous grant from OSF (US).
- Zoetis South Africa (Pty) Ltd / Hinterland SA (Pty) Ltd – (2018) A donation resulting from their own internal PINK campaign over a period of 2 years to create cancer awareness in the agricultural sector.