The Cancer Alliance today publishes its Advocacy Toolkit for Area #3 – dealing with Patients’ Right to Healthcare.
Too many patients with cancer that could be curable are slipping through the cracks and dying unnecessarily. This is as a result of a combination of lack of awareness, lack of resources, and lack of access to affordable, effective and quality cancer services.
So what do we need?
We need to see cancer patients, their families, communities and civil society stand up and demand their rights in terms of the following:
- The Constitution
- The National Health Act
- The Children’s Act 38 of 2005 (as amended)
- The Cancer Regulation of 2011
- The patent law of South Africa
- The National Patients’ Rights Charter
- Batho Pele (People First)